It is important to remember that there is no “one-size-fits-all” approach to selling your home. There are many factors to consider when selecting an agent to list your home, and outlined below is a quick 4-step summary of important things to consider.
Everyone would LOVE to sell their property and realize a 250% return on their investment. But the reality is that if you really do need to sell your home, you have to price it correctly in order for it to sell. The main consideration for an effective pricing strategy is the current market conditions. Your agent should be able to provide you with in-depth analysis on the current local market conditions. You may also want to go hyper-local and ask for information about recent sales in your particular neighborhood or development vs. a zipcode or larger geographic region so you can better understand market conditions and trends at a macro and micro level.
CONDITION OF YOUR HOME
This can be tough. You have to try and be as objective as possible when it comes to the condition of your home; try to look at your home with the critical eye of an outside observer. Your agent can help you with this. In fact, your agent can be utilized as YOUR source of objective feedback about the condition of your home and the necessary steps you need to take in order to address and correct any issues.
Ahhh… the big one. Price. This is the MOST important factor to consider when listing your home for sale. Be realistic. Look at the neighborhood comps and CMA’s when deciding on a list price for your home. Remember, you may LOVE your home, BUT it will not sell for any more than what the market dictates. Do your research so you can make an informed decision on pricing. There are a lot of terrific sites out there with interesting information about home sales and prices, use them. Utilize your agent to help you interperet this data, and compare it to actuals from your neighborhood and local communities. Ask your agent to deliver you information on any pending sales that are releveant to your home sale (if available) so that you can guage pricing trends. Your agent should be able to provide you with accurate, up-to-date comps, market trends, PRICING trends (are prices increasing or decreasing locally? If so, by how much? How will this affect the sale of YOUR home? etc.) and help you mold all of this information into an effective pricing strategy.
Your agent has just assisted you in setting a terrific, empirically driven price on your beautiful home. Now what? TIME TO MARKET IT. Get it out to as many potenial purchasers as possible. Get it online. Get it syndicated.
- Make sure your agent and their company sends YOUR home to as many real estate search sites as possible.
- They have advertising vehicles for your property on different social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Make sure your agent can deliver a mobile, GPS driven experience of your home to purchasers.
- Make sure your agent has a network of agents and brokers (such as Leading Real Estate Companies of the World) to market your home to.
- Make sure your agent places as many photos of the interior and exterior of your home as possible online.
- Get a custom website made for your home. If this sounds like an on-line heavy marketing plan,that’s because IT IS. 90+% of consumers start their home search on-line, make sure your home is visible in the online space.
Do your research, select a great agent, get your home sold. Visit www.averyhess.com.
an ongoing conversation about
real estate in Virginia, Maryland, and
Washington DC designed to help you Every Step of the Way.